Westhills Aggregates LP
Posting Date: April 30th, 2020
Reports to: K’uL Group CEO
The K’uL Management Group was formed to foster the development of a sustainable economy for the Penticton Indian Band. K’uL Group is the “for profit” business investment and development division of the Penticton Indian Band and is the umbrella organization that holds the corporate business investments; it is responsible for the overall management of the band’s business portfolio.
Established in 1992, Westhills Aggregates specializes in the production and processing of sand and gravel, with an emphasis on crushing and screening of construction aggregates. In addition to the trucking and delivery of aggregates, Westhills Aggregates also conducts civil and earthworks construction, including road maintenance, site preparation, excavation, snow plowing/removal, water line and septic system installations.
The General Manager (GM) reports to the K’uL Management Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and is responsible for leading, planning, managing and implementing Westhills Aggregates (WHA) operations within K’uL Management Group’s strategic economic development plans, business plans, policies and procedures. Responsibilities include contractor, office and operator staff supervision, budgeting, operations planning, permitting, community relations, etc. The General Manager will provide for an effective teamwork environment with all existing Westhills Aggregates staff utilizing strategic leadership skills to achieve the economic development goals and financial objectives for Westhills Aggregates. The General Manager works with the CEO to establish short and long-term strategic planning and to conduct quality assurance reviews identifying areas for improved business practice.
- Promotes a healthy workforce;
- Develop and implement operational methods to reduce costs and improve operational efficiency;
- Develop and support new managers/team leaders across the organization to mitigate risks due to staff turn-over and to create a clear pathway for career progression;
- Be a Company Representative with the local community and interface with them;
- Develop and adhere to the highest standards, rules and regulations with regard to health, safety, and the environment;
- Reports regularly to K’uL Management Group CEO on operations, including progress reporting on strategic and annual plans, financial performance against approved budgets;
- Supervises and provides direction to all Westhills Aggregates staff both operations and office minimizing overtime, efficient leave management, etc.;
- Work with K’uL Management Group CEO to establish business plans, objectives and priorities, evaluating Westhills Aggregates performance and addressing concerns and issues;
- Develop a continuous improvement environment to improve the operation;
- Works with the K’uL Group Human Resources department on all WHA human resource services including playing a central role in the recruitment, screening and selection of all staff ensuring fair and transparent hiring practices and application of approved personnel policies;
- Plans and reviews, in conjunction with CEO on annual budget forecasts, work plan financing, monthly financial statements, quarterly reviews of progress against annual plans and audits;
- Develops, monitors and controls Westhills Aggregates costs and budget, including authorization of expenditures as required;
- Maintain equipment through effective and efficient operations coordination and scheduling;
- Maintain purchasing of operational and routine materials;
- Maintains operational compliance with zoning and related permits;
Skills & Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree in Science, Civil Engineering or a related field combined with strong demonstrated business development and financial management experience at a senior level.
- At least 5+ years in a senior management position.
- 5+ years of civil construction leadership experience.
- Have a positive attitude and good character
- A strong work ethic
- Patient & Assertive
- Respectful and culturally sensitive to Indigenous issues
- Good communication skills
This position works primarily in an office environment however, will frequently be required to monitor operational sites, travel over the territory for site specific work and business development and to travel by land and occasionally by air. The incumbent is expected to travel as required to effectively carry out the duties of the position. The nature of the position is such that the incumbent will be required to manage emotional and stressful situations involving others. The position will also be required to meet on-going irregular deadlines and may occasionally work evenings and weekends to meet the expectations of the position.
K’uL Group of companies offers a competitive compensation and benefits package as well as a great team and respectful work environment. If you are qualified and looking for an exciting and rewarding career respond with Cover Letter and Resume to the attention of: Manager, Human Resources, Email: [email protected] or mail to the address above. The posting will remain open until filled.
The K’uL Management Group of companies provides equal employment opportunities to all, regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, political belief, creed, disability that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions or that cannot be accommodated, or conviction for which a pardon has been granted. However, where two or more applicants have comparable or equivalent skills and qualifications, preference shall be given, in the following order, to persons who are members of the Penticton Indian Band, to persons who are of the Okanagan Nation, to persons who are of Indigenous heritage, First Nation or Metis’. We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for the interview will be contacted.