Heavy Duty Equipment Operator
Posting Date: March 29th, 2021
Reports to: Site Superintendent (Civil)
The K’uL Management Group was formed to foster the development of a sustainable economy for the Penticton Indian Band. K’uL Group is the “for profit” business investment and development division of the Penticton Indian Band and is the umbrella organization that holds the corporate business investments; it is responsible for the overall management of the band’s business portfolio.
Established in 1992, Westhills Aggregates specializes in the production and processing of sand and gravel, with an emphasis on crushing and screening of construction aggregates. In addition to the trucking and delivery of aggregates, Westhills Aggregates also conducts civil and earthworks construction, including road maintenance, site preparation, excavation, snow plowing/removal, water line and septic system installations.
Westhills Aggregates slowly developed and built up a civil works team, and now has formed its own division, as Westhills Civil. Westhills Civil, through its parent company, K’uL Group now has years of work ahead of it and requires a Heavy Duty Equipment Operator to join the team.
Reporting to the Westhills Civil Superintendent, the Heavy Duty Equipment Operator drives or controls construction equipment, including bulldozers, excavators, front-end loaders, forklifts, backhoes, dump trucks, cargo trucks, hydraulic truck cranes, etc. They operate this equipment to assist in the construction of structures, including bridges, roads, and buildings. The heavy equipment operator will handle loading and excavation of sand, gravel, dirt, etc.
- Operate various heavy equipment such as: excavator, dozer, compactors, skid steer, etc.
- Clean and lubricate equipment and refill equipment tanks
- Responsible for conducting pre-operational checks on equipment
- Communicate the need for material and equipment for job, as necessary
- Report any required preventative maintenance to supervisor
- Be able to identify hazards on site
- Record and maintain daily records
- Ensure site cleanliness is maintained
- Attention to detail, critical thinking, problem solving
- Fine grading and finishing, sloping and banking, backfilling, demolition, ditching, excavating, stockpiling, loading
- Other duties as required
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of 5 years’ operating experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience operating GPS equipped excavators
- Knowledge of best WorkSafeBC practices
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
- Candidate must be comfortable working in tight spaces, and be familiar with underground pipe/waterline installation
- Ability to read and interpret plans
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Have a positive attitude and good character
- A strong work ethic
- Ability to transfer instructions into action efficiently
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge in Civil Construction/Underground Utility Construction
- Physical ability to lift up to 50lb.
- Travel to the site, and off-site locations will be required
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc
- Overtime as required
- Hazards associated with the trade
- Will be exposed to construction sites
- Will work in all weather conditions
K’uL Group of companies offers a competitive compensation and benefits package as well as a great team and respectful work environment. If you are qualified and looking for an exciting and rewarding career, please respond with Cover Letter and Resume to the attention of: Officer, Human Resources, Email: [email protected].
This posting will remain open until filled.
The K’uL Management Group of companies provides equal employment opportunities to all, regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, political belief, creed, disability that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions or that cannot be accommodated, or conviction for which a pardon has been granted. However, where two or more applicants have comparable or equivalent skills and qualifications, preference shall be given, in the following order, to persons who are members of the Penticton Indian Band, to persons who are of the Okanagan Nation, to persons who are of Indigenous heritage, First Nation or Metis’. We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for the interview will be contacted.